Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Digital Storytelling and Reel Works

Digital Story

1.What do you like about the digital story?

This digital story tugs at the heart strings. In it, the young lady is writing a letter to her childhood, asking it not to leave her behind. I loved this creation, because it is very relatable. At 22, sometimes I get so overwhelmed. My job along with my college courses are a little too hard to handle at times. I find myself thinking back to the days when “the hardest decision I had to make was which color crayon to choose.”  I think that everyone is affected by this transformation in their life. This video allows everyone to realize that it is alright to feel a little sad about leaving behind childhood.

2.What did you learn from the digital story?

I learned a lot about the individual who created this digital story. I know that she is now becoming an adult, with many responsibilities. I can tell that she had a great childhood, and I bet she had a great family who contributed to this. I also learned that in her adolescent life she has had struggles with money and heart break. I can tell that, like me, she is a very emotional person.

3.What surprised you about the digital story?

I was surprised when the author of the digital story stated when writing to Childhood, “I know that I have neglected you times before, but I have realized that I was wrong. Just because I shut you out of my life once or twice, doesn’t mean you have to shut me out of yours.” This statement surprised me because it was so powerful. The author admits to shutting out childhood, and I think we are all guilty of that. There have been many times in childhood where we just want to be adults, but then when we grow up we wish those times back! Her way of wording this feeling was so moving.

4.How did the digital story provide an example of how digital storytelling can build self esteem, help young people voice an opposition to social problems,  or create an alternative to stereotypes of adolescents typically portrayed in mainstream media?


This digital story created an alternative to the stereotypes of adolescents that are typically portrayed in mainstream media. It is amazing that a teenager created this. Typically, we view teenagers as very conceited. They have the “it’s all about me” attitude. In this digital story, we see a more vulnerable side of the author. She actually doesn’t enjoy being a teenager and fears moving into adulthood. Most teens always say that they cannot wait to grow up. This young lady sheds light on this stereotype, making the audience aware that teens are not always egotistical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment