Thursday, October 10, 2013

Public Service Announcement

I really enjoyed doing this Public Service Announcement for Critical Media Literacy. I used many persuasive techniques and ideas to make my PSA more effective. One persuasive technique that I utilized was statistical information. At the beginning of my commercial, I informed the audience that “the average child ages 8-18 is tuned into some type of media almost 11 hours daily.” I felt that this statistical information would shock the intended audience of teachers. Since it is at the very beginning of the PSA, I feel like it kept them tuned in for more.

Along with that, I also used the persuasive technique known as “plain folks.” As stated before, this was intended for teachers. You don’t have to be “teacher of the year” or have won any awards to understand this message. I broadcasted it for your average everyday teachers, in hopes of connecting with them somehow. I also integrated a little fear into the message, when stating,  “Get with it!” Teachers do not want to be left behind teaching the old way! This could also be interpreted as a bandwagon technique, because no teacher wants to be the last one to integrate new ideas.


Last but certainly not least, I used the technique of Association. All teachers strive for success in the classroom. In my PSA, teaching Critical Media Literacy is the key to success. I feel that all of these techniques and ideas helped to truly get my message across that Critical Media Literacy does matter. Teachers really do need to get with it! 

7 comments:

  1. Katie! This is so good! I loved that you used your own classroom and your own student. I also love the music and the catch phrase. This is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great slogan! I also like how you highlighted the ways teachers can use critical media literacy in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good job! I can see you took this assignment seriously and even got a student involved. You make it seem easy to teach critical media literacy, even at a young level; this pinpoints the fact that young children know advertisements and see them often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice facts in the beginning and music in the end! The images of you using the SmartBoard were a good addition, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you compared school work and what they see when they are outside of school. What they do outside of school they do because they are interested in it, school should be the same, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the music and persuasion tactics you used. Great ad

    ReplyDelete