Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Philosophy of Education

            “The function of education is to give children a desire to learn and to teach them how to use their minds and where to go to acquire facts when their curiosity is aroused” (The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project). Education can provide children with the foundation they need to grow not only physically but intellectually in this ever-changing society. As an educator, it is my role to provide a strong foundation for my students, so that they will be able to make a living in this world. I want to make a difference in my student’s lives, I want to make an impact. I want to leave them with the knowledge that an education is not something that is required but something that one should want to acquire.
            Not only is it my role to provide my students with a solid education, but it is my role to embrace the new and ever-changing ways of the world. I cannot prepare my students for the world, if I am not prepared myself. This involves a deep understanding of new literacies that are not just developing, but taking over our world. By this, I mean the new digital age. “ This requires an acknowledgement that successful participation in our digital society includes the ability to understand, think critically about, reflect on, and respond to the societal, cultural, and economic forces that shape our interactions with and through technology, both in our professional lives as educators, and in our everyday lives” (Avila & Pandya, 2013, p. 149). In understanding the vital role that educators play, I must be able to communicate critically in this digital age and interact with others through technology. In doing this, I will be a model for my students and they will be exposed to the media not just at home, but now in the classroom.
            As in any classroom, the student also plays a very vital role. In my classroom, I do not want my students to feel as if I am the dictator and they are the passive listeners. I want the students to feel as if they are a member of a community of learners. I want my students to feel as if they are contributing to their education. One way that I can provide this opportunity is through bridging the gap between school and society. As Avila and Pandya (2013) state, “with participatory and mobile media tools, there is more potential to bridge this gap than ever before (p. 123). As an educator I must embrace this potential, allowing my students to combine their school life with what is happening outside the door.
            Put simply, I want to make a difference in young minds by utilizing a critical media approach to education. As stated above, the gap between school and society needs to be bridged. As educators, we often state that we are preparing our students for the real world. I feel that this statement is used too often. Are we truly preparing them for this digital age? Are we allowing them to not only create digital media, but to participate and analyze it? “Technology plays an important role, not alone but as a constantly changing set of socially situated tools for literacy, for making sense of the world and ourselves” (Avila & Pandya, 2013, p. 104). In my classroom, I do not plan on using technology as a supplement to my curriculum, but as the central focus. In order to truly make a difference, in order to truly prepare my students for society, they have to play a vital role in it at a young age. We can’t expect them to simply know how to survive once they graduate high school. We must provide them with these skills in the classroom. In understanding this, if you were to step into my classroom, you would see this hands-on and new-age curriculum taking place.  

Resources for Paper
Avila, J., & Pandya, J. (2013). Critical digital literacies as social praxis. (Vol. 54). New York:       NY: Peter Lang Publishing Inc.
The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project. (n.d.). Good citizenship: The purpose of education.             Retrieved from http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/documents/articles/goodcitizenship.cfm


Critical Media Literacy Resources for Planning Curriculum
1.      Lesson Plan
Henry, L. (2013). Critical media literacy: Commercial advertising. Retrieved from             http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/critical-media-      literacy-commercial-97.html?tab=4

2.      Lesson Plan
Project Look Sharp. (n.d.). “real bugs” identifying stereotypes. Retrieved from             http://www.ithaca.edu/looksharp/General Media Literacy Lessons/Real Bugs/Real             Bugs Teachers Guide.pdf

3.      Lesson Plan
Project Look Sharp. (n.d.). “white towel” media production activity . Retrieved from             http://www.ithaca.edu/looksharp/General Media Literacy Lessons/White    Towel/WT Teacher Guide.pdf

4.      Video for the app BeSeen
Web Wise Kids. (2012). Beseen app demo [Web]. Retrieved from   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQF7Rxer1zE

5.      Introducing Media Literacy-lesson
SMARTArt. (n.d.). Introductory media literacy lessons for elementary school students. Retrieved              from http://www.medialit.org/sites/default/files/LP_TeacherIntroLessons.pdf

6.      Photo Essay Lesson
Brown, A., Mahoney, K., Ojalvo, H. (2009, May).Critical lenses exploring the new lens     blog with a critical eye. Retrieved from    http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/20090522friday.html

7.      First Grade Media Lesson
Bond, K. (2000). Cereal box investigation . Retrieved from                 http://www.ltl.appstate.edu/436/student/medialit/s00/bond/medialitplan.html

8.      Media Violence Lesson Plan
MediaSmarts. (2012). Facing tv violence: consequences and media violence. Retrieved      from http://mediasmarts.ca/sites/default/files/pdfs/lesson-            plan/Lesson_Facing_TV_Violence_Consequences_Media_Violence.pdf

9.      Video
TEDxTalks. (2013, February). Creating critical thinkers through media literacy: Andrea     quijada at tedxabqed. Retrieved from     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAApvHZ6XE

10. Article (chapter from a book) that will assist teachers in understanding critical literacy

Demystifying critical literacy. (n.d.). Retrieved from                 http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/scholasticprofessional/authors/pdfs/Sample_pa                ges_Critical_literacy.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment