Thursday, November 14, 2013

Reading and Discussion 13

“ This requires an acknowledgement that successful participation in our digital society includes the ability to understand, think critically about, reflect on, and respond to the societal, cultural, and economic forces that shape our interactions with and through technology, both in our professional lives as educators, and in our everyday lives” (Avila & Pandya, 2013, p. 149).


I selected this quote because it summarizes the main importance of this chapter and the main importance of technology integration. It is vital to understand that being able to use technology as a teacher or a student does not mean we are technology literate. Digital literacies encompass so much more. We need to model to our students that through technology we can reflect and respond on worldwide issues. We want our students to walk out of our classrooms not thinking “I used a computer to type my essay,” but thinking, “I used my computer to examine and state my opinion on a school wide issue that may help solve the problem.” As the above quote states, we need to acknowledge these facts in order to successfully participate in today’s society. 

1. Why do the authors of this chapter choose to use the term "critical digital literacies" rather than just "digital literacies”?

As defined on page 134, digital literacies is so much more than just the use of technology skills. The authors chose to use the term “critical digital literacies” to state that digital literacies cannot simply be understood by being literate with technology. Digital literacies also contain “a critical understanding of and engagement with functional technology skills within the broader contexts of technology use” (Avila & Pandya, 2013, p. 135). In understanding digital literacies, it is very important to recognize this expanded definition.

2. How well did your own teacher education program prepare you to use technology in your teaching practices? Was it more tools based or literacy based?

I feel that my teacher education program somewhat prepared me to use technology in my teaching practices. I felt like a lot of the courses were “trying” to prepare us, but weren’t as successful as they could have been. It all seemed more tools based. In reading page 129 I felt myself agreeing with everything stated.  My educational experiences on this subject were very similar to those described in the first paragraph on page 129. My courses included e-portfolios and collaboration with public schools, along with other things. I became very “good” with technology during these courses, but I would not have considered myself literate until taking this course. I now understand that the integration of technology is so much more than just using a SmartBoard or computer during lessons.

3. What should teachers be thinking about when they engage in critical thinking as it relates to technology use in school?

When engaged in critical thinking about the use of technology in school, teachers should be thinking about the goals they would like their students to accomplish. These goals can also be aligned with the state standards. Critically thinking, educators do not just want students to be exposed to technology, but be literate with it. We should be paying close or “critical” attention to the technology experiences that we want to provide our students with. Not only should educators question the taken-for-granted experiences with technology, but they should also ask their students to do the same. We need to be critical evaluators when we are producing technology lessons. We should evaluate our technology understanding along with our students. We should also consider the issues that are developing in society. Could they be discussed through technology? Could we work to solve certain problems? These are questions that can be developed when critically thinking.

4. On page 149, it is stated that students have certain rights with respect to "critical digital literacies." Do students in your teaching context have these rights? Give an example or non-example of at least one of these rights.

Where I teach, our technology is very limited. We do not even have a computer lab right now. We currently have a mobile lab, but being in 2nd grade, the mobile lab rarely visits us because the older students always need it. Therefore with this situation, I feel that these rights are somewhat ignored. I am not saying this is a terrible school, because it is amazing. We try to implement technology and stay up-to-date with all the new skills. Still, I wouldn’t consider these rights to be effective in my school. I would love for my students to have “the right to access and use up-to-date new technologies building on everyday practices,” but this is somewhat impossible. I incorporate what I can in my classroom, but I wish each child could have technology manipulatives at their fingertips, just like each child has math manipulatives. 

Link to video.

I selected this video because I think it is a wonderful app for older children. I had never heard of it before seeing this! This application relates to our reading because it not only incorporates technology, but also problem solving and critical thinking skills!

Avila, J., & Pandya, J. (2013). Critical digital literacies as social praxis. (Vol. 54). New York: NY: Peter Lang Publishing Inc.

Web Wise Kids. (2012). Beseen app demo [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQF7Rxer1zE

No comments:

Post a Comment