Saturday, September 14, 2013

Magazine Cover



Design Choices 

In the creation of my magazine cover I used three media language techniques. I focused on grammatical techniques by using an ellipsis and an imperative sentence. I chose to use the ellipsis when saying “From Hunting to Heels” because this brief statement will catch the readers eye and leave them wondering what exactly this meant. With the subheading of “Take down the make up!” I decided to create an imperative sentence that also uses a play on words. This subheading is a command that brings up the notion that make up is not needed to be considered a woman.

I tried to incorporate many persuasion techniques when creating my magazine cover. The first and most evident technique was the Plain Folk method. I am featured on the front cover, instead of a celebrity. Readers may want to pick up this issue in hopes that there will be more truth to it than when a celebrity is the main feature. Another less noticeable technique that I used was Warm and Fuzzy. The images were carefully selected to display a sense of “comfort” and “casual” life. I feel that people could relate to these images better. The front cover also displays a Glittering Generality at the top when it states how society needs to change.


Along with these techniques, I used a few other common strategies to persuade a larger audience. The cover will strongly be associated with females, but the picture of the men on dirt bikes and the hunting caption may stir up a few males. The sub-headings about society may also capture a group of people that normally wouldn’t purchase a People magazine. I also tried hard to establish a color theme that was bold and made the “more important” headlines stand out. I made sure to downsize the price and date of the magazine. All of these techniques helped to create a cover that I hope would sell well if released to the public. 

9 comments:

  1. I see a confident woman in your magazine cover and I agree, makeup does not make a woman a "woman." I like the "warm and fuzzy" element and think that a woman would buy your magazine. I don't, however, think a man would buy it. I hunt and love the outdoors, but I'm not into dirt bikes; so, maybe a dirt biker man would but it. Maybe a man who is looking for a hunting/dirt biking woman would love to read this magazine, but I don't think this would be effectively marketed to a city-girl or "fashionista."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your magazine cover seems to address the other side of women who like adventure. You seem to be a country girl. I like the fact that your cover breaks the stereotypical view of the women who are normally seen on magazine covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how your cover challenges the mainstream that women have to be "girly" and obsessed with clothes and makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have definitely challenged mainstream with the "no makeup" idea. I know that almost every teenage girl in this country feels quote unquote "naked" without their makeup. I think many articles like this should be written even more to help challenge the millions of ads produced saying that you need the makeup to be pretty. I feel your techniques were used in a way to keep the focus on the overall topic that girls don't have to fit into the square peg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you used the NO MAKE UP idea. This is the best that any ad can talk about. I believe that you are right on track with this. Also, the whole two sides to a woman is great as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see a challenge to the mainstream gender roles in you "Makeup" article title. The main header line even challenges the normal gender roles in America. I liked your use of varied images and gender neutral color scheme. I'm interested in the "two sides!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great theme to your magazine. I like the No Make Up approach, since almost NO women who work in the public eye regularly go out with bare faces. I also like that you did not choose typically "girly" colors for the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you are taking down the make up, like you are tearing down gender roles. I also like how you are pointing out that women can be both girly and not girly, heels and hunting. I don't think that is what many people see when they look a a woman. I think they see the one girl that they are showing at that moment and assume that she is that way all the time.

    ReplyDelete


  9. I like the persuasive techniques that you used. Your sentences are direct and to the point. Good teaser for your bait article as well. The idea of less makeup for women is also a good way to challenge gender expectations.

    ReplyDelete